Sunday, April 9, 2017

Reading Notes: Lang's European Fairy Tales I

These notes are from Lang's European Fairy Tales I unit. Story source: The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1889).

The Master Cat, or Puss in Boots
I have not read the original story of puss and boots, but I have seen the Puss in Boots from the Shrek movies. This is one of my favorite characters.
I think I would write a story in which I tell the history of how Puss in Boots came to be an adult. He would have grown up with a mother who was a seamstress. She fed him milk and spoiled him. Until one day she died, and Puss was all alone. What his mother didn't know was that he was teased in school a lot. And so he would wait after leaving the house to walk a different, more dangerous way to school because everything he usually walked with teased him. But after his mother died, he didn't know what to do anymore. He was so ashamed he hadn't told her that he was teased.
Fast forward 15 years, not in actual cat years, and he is all though. Thus the name, Puss in Boots.
Puss in boots. Source: Shrek. Wiki


The Dirty Shepherdess

I would change this story and make it two sons. It's always daughters who seem to be in a castle. For this story I would make it a father and his two sons. And the son that he kicks out isn't as smart or bright and intelligent as the other. The king doesn't think he can carry on the family name very well. So the youngest boy leaves and throws his crown on the dirt road as he leaves the castle. One into the poor village, he tries to find a job, but no one will give him one since they all know who he is. They remember him. He isn't very nice to them. When he comes to shop, he is rude and when he comes to eat, he never tips. So no one gives him a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment