Sunday, April 9, 2017

Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales, Part B

This story is part of the English Fairy Tales (1) unit. Story source: English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890).

Reading Notes, Part B:

Henny-Penny
This story is extremely interesting. I found it difficult to read because of the different punctuation used throughout. The dashes and the names within single quotes was confusing. Also, I know these are fairy tales, but the names are crazy. The long, rhyming names make it confusing to follow along. I wouldn't want to read these fairy tales to my children.

Molly Whuppie
After reading quote a few of these stories from the British unit, I have come to realize that I wouldn't have enjoyed these stories growing up. Or maybe I would have, but something about them isn't the same as the stories that I grew up with. This story here is not morally OK. I wouldn't read stories to my children about leaving children in the woods. That's called neglect. And I don't think it's humorous either. Then again, I don't find The Office to be funny either.
The giant in this story is quite interesting though. This story is confusing as well. Too many characters for me even to focus on rewriting this stories.

Mr. Fox
OK. This story is more creepy than any of the British stories that I've read. It started out sweet and what seemed to be a love story, but it is not. The story goes on and talks about blood and skeletons and I got so freaked out that I stopped reading halfway through. These aren't fairy tales. It makes sense, I think, because the British never seemed to be much of the fairy tale type.

Johnny-Cake

This is a story that I like. It reminds me of a gingerbread man and how he popped out of the over. I like the name for this one because he was baked and he probably is a cake. This story makes sense to me. This is a story that I could see reading to my kids.

Source: OU Blog Spot




No comments:

Post a Comment