Thursday, January 19, 2017

Storybook Favorites: The 3 That Caught My Eye


Story 1
Chasing a Rabbit Trail

The intro truly drew me in to the storybook, Chasing a Rabbit Tail, because of the passage from the Velveteen Rabbit. The Velveteen Rabbit is a book I remember from my childhood very dearly. I continued reading past the passage.
Lithograph for The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams, 1922.
Photo: William Nicholson, leoframes.com.
The introduction was well-written, and I got a great sense of who the rabbit was and what its mission was as well. The layout is more pleasing to the eye than some of the other storybooks I briefly browsed, but did not continue due to lack of interest in the content, such as Harry Potter references (I am not a HP fan.) Regarding the design, I enjoyed reading it in short columns with bold headings, making it easy to read and to follow. Navigation was easy as well, and the font was easy on the eyes. Again, a few other storybook I briefly saw were discouraging due to the style of font used, such as old timey font which is hard to read with the serifs. So this design and the content was well done.



Story 2
Arthurian Women

I chose to browse this storybook because of the title: “Arthurian Women: Queens, Damsels, and Villainess.” I enjoy reading about women and their place in society back in the day to present time. Being a leader and a woman is somewhat a difficult concept for some people to grasp still today, so again, I’m always interested in reading about how society views women in roles such as queens, damsels (in distress) and villains (or otherwise known as bossy). The introduction is well-written and continues to spark my interest until the end. I was actually very impressed with how intrigued I still was after the introduction, wanting to know the secrets of the Arthurian Women. The design is not as pleasing to my eye as the design used for Chasing a Rabbit Trail. I do not like how small the tabs are on the left side. In addition, the green text color kind of clashes with the green of the entire page, which is something I noticed immediately upon beginning to read. Moreover, it does not discourage me from reading, but does draw my attention away briefly. Navigation was seamless, but again, I didn’t care for the tabs on the left; I would much rather have the larger tabs at the top like a mainstream website.



Story 3
Ancient Chinese Fairytales

I was immediately drawn to this storybook, again, due to the title, Ancient Chinese Fairy Tales.” When I was about 3 or 4 months old, I was adopted from China (Guangzhou, China, to be exact) by American parents. Although I do not speak any Chinese nor have I ever been back, there will always be a place for the county of China and the city of Guangzhou in my heart. So, I enjoy chinese art, culture, food (especially food) and pretty much anything related to China. I did not find the introduction to be as well-written as the two storybooks above, but I found the author’s passion to be most intriguing. You can tell that the author is passionate about his wife and his wife’s culture, which is charming. I also think it is charming that he not only loved fairytales growing up, but that he’s stepping out of his own culture and wanting to learn about another culture’s fairytales. It’s a wonderful idea. Regarding design for this storybook: I don’t care for the sidebar on the left, (as with the Arthurian Women storybook mentioned above). I would use a different layout if possible, if I chose to do the storybook project.

No comments:

Post a Comment