Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading Options: Choice for Week 2 and more

Week 2 Story selection:

Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche

I chose this story because I love fairytales. In less formal wording, I am a sucker for fairytales. I love love and the first section was so intriguing that I read the next three. I’m very excited to continue the old woman’s story and to see how the young girl fares in the end.

For later in the semester, I'm interested in...


... the Asian Unit
China: The Favorite of Fortune and the Child of Ill Luck & Filipinio Tales


I am really interested in reading this entire story, because I was adopted from China, and as I stated in my last blog post, the country will always have a place in my heart. In addition, I love fairytales and stories such as the first one about a young girl who chooses a peasant over other suitors and stays loyal until death. I look forward to really digging into this unit.


... the European Unit

When I saw the title, Dante’s Inferno, my brain screamed with excitement. I remember playing a four-movement arrangement of Dante’s Inferno in my high school wind ensemble. I YouTubed it, and I couldn’t believe how vivid my memory was of playing this entire piece. Before we sight-read each movement, my band director read us an excerpt of this story, and now, I’m looking forward to reading it in this class.

Painting of The Barque of Dante by Eugène Delacroix. Oil on canvas.
Source: Wikimedia Commons


A little extra for this selection: Here's the YouTube video to the first movement of The Divine Comedy: The Inferno. 

(Fun fact: I played the clarinet in my high school band.)

No comments:

Post a Comment